Position: Director, Research & Innovation (R&I) Laboratory
Position Status: Full-Time
Purpose and Scope:
As a key member of our dynamic team, the role’s primary purpose will be assisting and working closely with the V.P. and departmental managers in establishing strategic plans and leading the R&I Team in our quest for market leadership. The role has the responsibility to ensure the department’s performance is in line with the company’s strategy, policies and procedures.
Additionally, the role’s other purpose is to be a fully engaged member of the senior management team, contributing to the strategic development and growth of the company.
- Provide assistance and support in the continuous development of the R&I team through effective coaching, mentoring and training in collaboration with R&I managers/supervisors
- Assist V.P. of R&I in providing leadership to the R&I Team by establishing and maintaining systems and processes that ensure consistency and compliance in order to exceed customer expectations
- Assist the V.P. and managers of R&I in establishing strategic plans, policies, and procedures to ensure departmental goals and objectives are attained
- Work collaboratively within a team environment to achieve goals and objectives while respecting diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives
- Build a strong and effective working relationship with both internal and external customers to understand business needs and drivers to ensure highest level of commitment to obtain customer satisfaction
- Be a role model and develop a level of engagement within the R&I team and organization as a trusted advisor
- Maintain close awareness of raw materials technology, processing methodology and marketing trends required to perform innovative product development assignments in a timely and efficient manner
- Assist in preparation of protocols and technical reports for development and validating new products / process development
- Provide the required support on internal and external client / government audits
- Review and / or develop specifications for new products for suitability with existing manufacturing systems and feasibility of other advanced technologies
- Maintain proactive commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Ensure compliance to health and safety and environmental laws and policies
- Support and assist R&I team for successful completion and submission of SR&ED projects to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as required
- Provide support and assistance to R&I team in analysis and identification of causes of customer complaints and recommended corrective actions as required
- Provide technical support to other departments as required while assisting and supporting the V.P. of R&I in any and all other duties
Experience and Knowledge Required for the Role:
- Minimum of 10 + years of experience in cosmetic industry preferably in formulation development (i.e. Skincare & Colour Cosmetics).
- Advanced technical degree (MSc) in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or related sciences with a progressive experience in a leadership capacity.
- Possess capacity for forming and advancing relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated progressive expertise in working collaboratively across business functions and a forward thinking problem solver with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities within a globalized environment.
- Experience overseeing the research and development functions of a satellite office is a definite asset.
- Ability to direct and create formulations of new competitive innovative products that sustain regulatory scrutiny and quickly adopted by the market.
- Demonstrated expertise in process design and equipment in relation to both formula development and scale-up.
- Ability to build strong respectful relationships and communicate effectively and persuasively with others.
Competencies and Traits Required for the Role:
- Structured yet flexible leadership – achieving extraordinary results through people
- Innovation and Creativity – adapting traditional or devising new approaches, concepts, methods, products, designs, processes or systems
- Intuitively understands complex organizational issues including the ability to look past surface noise to get to the underlying issues and understand inter-connected cause / effect results when creating change or introducing new programs
- Strong decision making and problem-solving ability – ability to use effective processes to anticipate, analyze, and diagnose problems
- High job ethic and integrity, personal accountability – has a strong capacity to be answerable for personal actions
- Employee development and coaching – facilitating and supporting the growth of others
- Flexible, adaptable, and resilient – can readily adapt to change and recover from adversity
- Teamwork – ability to work effectively and productively with others
- Self- starting, goal and results focus- ability to identify and prioritize initiatives and achieve goals
- Highly organized with the ability to work in a fast paced environment
*Accommodation: If you advise us of any special requirements, Cosmetica will do our best to provide accommodation for persons with disabilities.